Foreign ingredients II

The jalapeno lettuce chutney in this post was recommended by a Turkish chef of a Mediterranean restaurant near our house. The restaurant closed down recently as it could not afford the increase in the lease payments that came up at the time of lease renewal.

When I first came to the US in 1996, I was fascinated by jalapeno peppers. I found their taste unique and completely different from the peppers we ate in India. So much so that I put them in a USPS bag and sent them to my mother-in-law in India. Needless to say, those jalapeno peppers were never heard of again!

Jalapeno Lettuce chutney  

With what

* 8 jalapenos
* 1/4 head of iceberg lettuce chopped
* 1 tsp salt
* 3 cloves of garlic
* Juice of 1 1/2 lime

Makes about 2 cups

How to 

Grind all the ingredients to a smooth mix.

How to eat

Lavash rolls with Jalapeno Lettuce chutney and Avocado



Warm lavash rolls in the oven just enough to make them slightly crispy on one side (about 5-10 min in the oven at 250 degrees). Cut the lavash rolls into 6 pieces with one cut lengthwise and two cuts widthwise. Apply a layer of cream cheese and jalapeno lettuce chutney on each piece. Place think slices of avocado on the top. Salt and pepper them. Roll them and serve. 

Comments

Divya said…
I'm so glad you're back to blogging about chutneys! Now that I'm a full time cook and constantly looking for the 'new' in everyday life I have an appetising page to look at.

Popular Posts