A Big, Fat Indian Wedding & my food top of the pops

 I returned from India a few weeks back after attending a big, fat wedding, that too, a destination wedding, in Goa. Just the mere mention of Goa drew oohs and aahs from all my Indian friends & family. And the wedding was truly ginormous, colorful, vibrant, musical, high-energy, and loads of fun.

Here are the highlights -

Mehndi is a must at most Indian weddings. I loved mine but covering the upper arms and feet, ankle and calves, the bride’s mehndi was in a different league.


Haldi - a ritual where haldi (turmeric) is applied to the bride and groom. And the color code - yes, yellow.


The venue of the wedding ceremony



Just married, aren't they lovely? And to top it off, the bride is a dentist and the groom, an orthopedic surgeon (proud aunt here)  


Here's another cute couple we met on our sightseeing trip in Goa. The minute they saw me raise my phone for a picture, they immediately straightened up, broke out into a smile and posed happily. Check out the decorative traditional headgear (called pheta) decoration on top of the car. 



I got a chance to cook in India this time and the most lasting takeaway was the power of the burner’s flame. Unlike here in the US, there is an extra ring of flame inside, making for super-fast cooking at low heat too.


 I risked burning the food at medium heat and did not have to turn the heat to its highest at all. Not only did I have to keep all the ingredients ready at hand once I turned the heat on, but I dared not get distracted by the unending conversations (when in India) and my phone. Roasting papad on this flame without a spec of black is a cinch. But here in the US, my inside remains unroasted while the outside starts to burn. My workaround is tearing them in half and then placing them on the flame.  Well, there’s a story here too! Well-roasted papad, without pronounced black dots, is said to be a sign of culinary prowess.

- On this trip I ate

·         Vada pav is a must in every trip. My body, my mind and the city will not allow me to leave unless I eat Vada Pav.

·         Aam ras, Yes, aam ras in January, thanks to my MIL and her foresight to freeze.   

·         Hurda, this was my first time eating hurda. Hurda is a DIY preparation from roasted fresh sorghum kernels - so fresh that they spray milk when squeezed.  Top fresh roasted sorghum kernels with spicy sesame chutney, peanut chutney, roasted sesame seeds and a side of dense homemade yogurt. Heavenly! I immediately wanted to make a salad with it.

·         Thums up – Drinking Thums Up was a revelation - loved it, loved it. Thums Up has a sharp yet pleasant punch that is not diluted by syrupy sweetness.  

Undhyu - In my parent's side of the family, my mother is known for her undhyu. She got the wherewithal to cook this dish from her Gujarati neighbors. A winter dish, undhyu is a mammoth ensemble dish made of flat beans called papdi, baby potatoes, baby eggplants, fenugreek muthia all cooked on slow heat in a spicy paste of cilantro, green chile peppers, fresh coconut and her secret masala.    

A visit to India is exciting and my brain and mind are working on all cylinders 24/7. I come back like a burst bubble and my energy takes at least a week to adjust to the pace of life here in the US. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts